I must admit that my bible memorization last week got off to a seriously rocky start. Each day, I had the verse in front of me, but for some reason I just couldn’t commit it to memory. I didn’t have time, I got distracted, I was tired, I forgot where I put my post it, blah blah blah. Excuses, schmuses. I was so disappointed in myself, I could barely admit to the hubby this weekend that I still hadn’t committed it to memory after six days of “trying.”
Sweet understanding hubby told me to cut myself some slack, reminded me that we had a hugely insane week and that this week is a new beginning. He had a hard time his first week of scripture memorization too. I reminded him that one of my most favorite ladies on the planet had it memorized by Tuesday and how proud I was of her. She even posted it on Facebook! Ask her how she did it so quickly, he said… well then I’d have to admit that I’m struggling with it, was my reply…after all, it was my idea to memorize scripture in the first place, how’s that gonna look? You are only human, he replied. Well, human schmuman… I’m supposed to be superwoman, remember…was my response.
So, dear friends, if you memorized the verse from last week, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!
But I must sadly admit - superwoman I am not. I just couldn’t get it done. It was a crazy week, in a really bad way. And that’s all the details I’ll share there. But if we’re being honest, I am not sure I even tried that hard. Don’t get me wrong, I thought about memorizing it. A LOT. But I never got beyond that. And ironically, I could really have leaned upon that very verse.
So it’s time to wipe the slate clean. It’s a new week. A new opportunity to start fresh and either build upon the bible verse you may have memorized last week (seriously, snaps to you if you did it), or start building a foundation this week.
In case you struggled like me, here are some key tips to memorizing scripture, gleaned from my hubby’s own experience memorizing a new verse each week.
TIPS TO MEMORIZE SCRIPTURE
1. Write the verse down and keep it with you wherever you go – put it up on the coffee pot, mirror, refrigerator, computer, purse (or wallet)…wherever you will see it regularly.
2. Have a smart phone? Set a reminder for once a day, or several times a day, to be prompted to memorize it. Or better yet, put the verse right in your calendar as a daily “to do” that pops up.
3. When memorizing several sentences of scripture at a time, take it sentence by sentence and build upon your memory.
4. Tell people that you are memorizing scripture. Be accountable. Better yet, take that a step further and have an accountability partner - whether it’s your spouse, a friend, your small group or even your kids…make sure someone asks you throughout the week how it’s going. And ask for prayer if you are having difficulty.
5. Remember that it’s not a race or a requirement to memorize scripture. Do it with the right mindset and the proper heart and before you know it you’ll be on fire with memorizing!
SCRIPTURE MEMORY VERSE
So without further ado…here is the verse for this week…ready, set, memorize!
“For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘yes’ in Christ. And so through Him, the ‘Amen’ is spoken by us to the glory of God.” 2 Corinthians 1:20 (NIV)
No matter how busy this week gets, or what obstacle gets in my way, no matter how tired I am… I’m getting this verse memorized by the end of this week…all I have to do is think about all the songs I have memorized over the years…and well, there is really no excuse not to do this. But I really don’t want to do it alone. You with me? Let’s grow in God’s word together friends!